Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Numb right leg and cheek -- is this cardiac?

 nomadfamily - Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:20 pm

My wife has a partial numb right thigh and right cheek for 3 days. After 4 useless hours in the emergency room she was told that they had no idea what was wrong and there was nothing they do could do for now.

I am not sure if these are cardiac symptoms but it is very hard to diagnose.

What should we be asking for? Should we even focus on cardiac symptoms?

She is 43+ and has no other significant health conditions except being overweight.

Please help
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello, nomadfamily,

The symptoms you describe are not usually associated with a cardiac event. If a person has had a long history of cardiac disease, the entire circulatory system can be affected, with pains in the extremities, but this doesn't appear to be the case with your wife. Your name, nomadfamily, suggests you may not have a regular family physician. However, your wife should see a doctor for a complete physical examination. Her symptoms could be related to a circulatory disorder, such as a deep vein varicosity. Is the temperature of her leg increased or decreased compared to her other leg? Has she had pregnancies? Does she have a regular exercise program, such a daily walks? Is her lifestyle sedentary or active? How much overweight is she? All of these factors must be taken into consideration, and would be evaluated in a complete physical examination, as suggested. Early intervention is the best key to successful treatment, so I urge her to see a doctor at the earliest opportunity. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you both.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us