Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Pre-hypertension family history of polycystic kidney disease

Jack - Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:11 am

I am a healthy 40 yr old non-smoker. I exercise 3-4 times/week, drink alcohol occasionally, am not overweight and eat a reasonably healthy diet. My blood pressure is consistenly aound 138/90 and this is giving me cause for concern. My father has polycystic kidney diseas and underwent kidney transplant 7 yrs ago. I am aware that this disase can be hereditary. I had an ultrasound scan done around 8 yrs ago,which was normal. Do you think that my pre-hypertension is a casuse for concen, should I be taking medication? I have limited the amount of fat and salt in my diet and eat plenty of fresh veg and fish. Thanks. Jack
 OUBETA - Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:56 pm

I'm no doc but I would try everything naturally before taking any meds. I recently starting taking grean tea extract and garlic at high doses and upped my cardio. It has helped mine a slight bit. I'd go to the doc to be safe
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:23 am

User avatar Jack,
I think you should have a physical checkup, including a lipid profile and possibly a new ultrasound. Although still within the normal range your family history of polycystic kidneys warrants regular follow up.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us