Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: I am having palpitations for last 1 month

adeel1000 - Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:30 pm

I am diagnosed with mild MVP with only trace of regurgitation, 2 months ago.
I am having palpitations since last month specially when i lay down. My cardiologist has given me TOPROL-XL 25mg which has slowed my heart rate but has done nothing to my palpitations, then he did a holter monitor test last week which was normal though i experienced palpitations a lot during that test.

My tests are normal but why iam not geting rid of these palpitations.
My cardio said you are jest feeling your heart beat.

If you could help me please.

Regards
Adeel
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 18, 2005 6:28 pm

User avatar Dear Adeel,

i think your doctor might be right.

What do you mean by palpitations? Please, describe what you feel to me. With the holter, when you felt the palpitations, there was a button that you should have pushed, did you push it? What did the holter show then?

To decrease the palpitations in cases of mitral valve prolapse, it is better to always eat small frequent meals especially if you notice the palpitations after meals and have enough rest.

To decrease the palpitations in genenral, no smoking, no alcohol, enough sleep and rest and no caffeine (coffee, tea, pop, etc...).

Also, if not already done, it is recommended to have blood tests for electrolytes and thyroid functions.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.