Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Aortic Stenosis with advanced CAD

 Billdt - Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:36 pm

My father has recently been diagnosed with severe Aortic stenosis. He has been passing out and experiencing shortness of breath with minimal activity. He was told that he needed a valve replacement. While attempting to schedule the valve surgery, his cardiologist changed his opinion stating that my dad had advanced Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) which would be a major risk factor and could cause a heart attack on the table if he underwent traditional or keyhole replacement. He is currently undergoing EECP for the third time, but the relief he gets from his symptoms is only temporary after each course.
My question is, Are there any other alternatives to repair his leaky valve in this case, or is it fact that he has advanced CAD, and therefore,a decreased life expectancy, limiting him from receiving additional treatment options?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 18, 2005 7:42 pm

User avatar Dear Bill,

Once aortic stenosis patients start to be symptomatic, their life expectancy decreases. Coronary disease adds to the complexity of the case, and this means that if the decision to go with surgery is taken, then your dad will have to have a coronary artery bypass surgery which adds to the risk of your dad during surgery.

If your dad lives in a small or medium sized city and this is the limiting factor in your dad having this complex surgery, you can ask to have your dad referred to one of the tertirary medical centers in a big city where more complex cases are taken care of all the time.

The only treatment for aortic stenosis is valve replacement.

You have also to put in consideration what are your dad's wishes regarding his treatment options.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us