Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: left shoulder pain, chest tightness

jeeper - Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:15 pm

i am a 35 yo female that has recently been experiencing pain in my left shoulder. the pain seems to start almost in my armpit and radiate up around my shoulder. i have also been having tightness in my chest that makes me feel like i can't take a deep breath.
i have not had any injury or trauma to my shoulder. should i be concerned about this or is this just something that comes with getting older.
 Bernadette - Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:48 pm

Dear jeeper,This is not something that comes with getting older.(By the way,35 is definitely not"getting older")Your symptoms should be evaluated by your doctor.He/she will probably do a cardiogram to start,listen to your heart and lungs,and see what other tests you might need.Do you have a family history of heart disease,have you had your cholesterol checked,do you smoke?Your doctor will also consider stress/anxiety and problems like asthma.Don't assume you know what the symptoms mean,and don't ignore them.Hope this is some help.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us