Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: Cardiac Catherization

mischellelawler - Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:59 pm

Can someone please tell me what it means when they ask if you have had a prior PCI? :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:08 am

User avatar Hi mischellelawler,
PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) is a procedure that once the catheter is in place using a balloon that's attached to the tip of the catheter, is inflated compressing the plaque and dilates the diameter of the blood vessel. Many times a coronary stent is placed in the blood vessel to help prevent the recurrence of blockage. The balloon is then deflated and removed along with the catheter. So in short it means stent placement/balloon therapy for previous blockages. I hope this makes sense.