Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Sudden spike in heart rate while exercising

rickm - Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:30 am

New to this forum. I am 57 yr old male, on lipitor, hytrin, linospril, and ditropan. Have been very phyically active all my life, riding bikes 2-3 thousand miles a year. Smoker since age 16. Retired police officer, so I have had my share of strange work hrs and bad diets at times.
Currently a gym rat going twice a day most days. I am 5'6" , weigh 187, with a body fat of 19 to 21 % depending on the day. I lift heavy most of the time doing 120 dumbbells. Have done a lot of cardio, and go in two, threee month cycles. Try and do one hour of cardio a day, pluse lifting for a hour or so. Recently got a heart rate monitro and found that during cardio heart rate is 145 or so and returens to 90 after a minute or so. Cant seem to loose a single pund however even after a three month cyle. Eat pretty clean. When I lift however, the heart rate goes to 175 - 200 for a max effort. I had a nulcear stress test approx two months ago that was "normal" Is that sudden spike a concern? Is the heart medicine defeating the cardio efforts and the reason I cant loos the tummy fat etc.? I have large muscle groups and have a 46 inch chest and a 36 inch waist. Recenty had a expereince in the gym after a max effort with the 120 lb dumbells, and felt mild jaw pain, but maybe pyscosomatic?Bench usually over 300. Any ideas?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:23 pm

User avatar Dear Rick,

i can not really tell how accurate is your heart rate monitor. It is not though unreasonable to think that when you do such a short lived very stressful kind of exercise that your heart rate goes up so high for the time of exercise and then goes down very fast (which is a sign of physical fitness).

If your jaw pain was due to coronary disease, you wouldn't have been able to go through all these heavy duty workouts.

Regarding the tummy, i suggest that you consult with a professional trainer to see what he/she thinks about what kind of exercise can be done to target this specific area.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.