Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Sudden spike in heart rate while exercising

rickm - Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:30 am

New to this forum. I am 57 yr old male, on lipitor, hytrin, linospril, and ditropan. Have been very phyically active all my life, riding bikes 2-3 thousand miles a year. Smoker since age 16. Retired police officer, so I have had my share of strange work hrs and bad diets at times.
Currently a gym rat going twice a day most days. I am 5'6" , weigh 187, with a body fat of 19 to 21 % depending on the day. I lift heavy most of the time doing 120 dumbbells. Have done a lot of cardio, and go in two, threee month cycles. Try and do one hour of cardio a day, pluse lifting for a hour or so. Recently got a heart rate monitro and found that during cardio heart rate is 145 or so and returens to 90 after a minute or so. Cant seem to loose a single pund however even after a three month cyle. Eat pretty clean. When I lift however, the heart rate goes to 175 - 200 for a max effort. I had a nulcear stress test approx two months ago that was "normal" Is that sudden spike a concern? Is the heart medicine defeating the cardio efforts and the reason I cant loos the tummy fat etc.? I have large muscle groups and have a 46 inch chest and a 36 inch waist. Recenty had a expereince in the gym after a max effort with the 120 lb dumbells, and felt mild jaw pain, but maybe pyscosomatic?Bench usually over 300. Any ideas?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:23 pm

User avatar Dear Rick,

i can not really tell how accurate is your heart rate monitor. It is not though unreasonable to think that when you do such a short lived very stressful kind of exercise that your heart rate goes up so high for the time of exercise and then goes down very fast (which is a sign of physical fitness).

If your jaw pain was due to coronary disease, you wouldn't have been able to go through all these heavy duty workouts.

Regarding the tummy, i suggest that you consult with a professional trainer to see what he/she thinks about what kind of exercise can be done to target this specific area.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us