Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Wondering if I should get checked for a heart murmor (sp?)

crbrooks - Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:04 am

From time to time I will get this little fluttering in my heart or it will skip a beat. I happens about once or twice every few days. My husband tries to tell me that it is a heart murmor but, I have never been diagnosed (or check to the best of my knowledge). My mother has a heart murmor and, I'm wondering if this is a hereditary condition? If this is something I should get checked out I would really like to know. And if it is a heart murmor, is it a serisous problem?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:38 pm

User avatar Dear crbrooks,

Having a skipped beat every now and then by no means indicates that you have a heart condition. It is not uncommon for young healthy individuals to have skipped beats from time to time.

A murmur means a noise or a sound, so it can only be detected by listening to the heart and it is caused by turbulance of blood. It does not necessarily mean that you have a diseased heart.

Whether having a murmur is serious or not depends on the underlying cause of the murmur

It is not a bad idea to tell your doctor about having these skipped beats from time to time but i don't think that it is an emergency.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us