Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Heart Problems at 22?

 jananna - Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:08 pm

:?: i am going to be 22 in a few months and i have some serious heart problems or so i think i do! i will be carrying on with a normal day and it will hit me out of no where. my heart rate will increase and pound so hard, u can see it and definantly feel it. i will sit down because sometimes i will get dizzy. it will remain like that for about 10-15 mins. it scares me alot. sometimes it cause me to have the shakes. i feel like i am in a panic and sometimes my breathing gets short too. PLEASE help me.......what could this be?
i plan on visiting a doctor very soon....i know this may sound silly but i am waiting for my insurance to kick in....i am affraid it will end up costing alot because i am sure they will have to run multiple test.

thank u so much for taking the time to read this....i hope u can provide me with some helpful info

 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:11 am

User avatar Dear Jananna,

Thank you very much for using our website.

The best thing to do is to have an Ekg (electric drawing of the heart) during these episodes. It will allow to see the exact rate and the rhythm of the heart and whether normal or abnormal.

Meanwhile, till you see your doctor try to remain calm. Cut down on the coffee or any caffeinated beverages (pop, mountain due, etc...), stop smoking if you are, and try to get enough sleep and avoid over exertion.

Usually the blood tests will be in the form of electrolyes, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus levels and thyroid function tests because disturbance in the heart rhythm is sometimes associated with abnormalities of these parameters.

i can not tell what this is unless you have an Ekg unfortunately.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us