Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: can drinking tea raise blood pressure

macacat210 - Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 am

I normally had 120/80 blood pressure. While in humid florida recently, I had 145/100 bp's. I was drinking alot of tea and taking vitamin B complex. I was tired, so my logic was the tea and B would boost my energy levels. I am ADHD and take ritalyn daily. My first cousin just had 3 brain hemorages and anerism of the brain. Should I be concerned?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 pm

User avatar Hello,Very high level of caffeine(Found in tea also)could raise the blood pressure transiently.Thus it is advisable for you to avoid highly caffeinated drinks an hour before checking.However a diastolic of 100 mm seems quite high and may not be the regular white collar hypertension.You should get rechecked and make sure of the levels.If this persists beyond 90 mm diastolic will need followup for medical treatment.Obesity control,salt limitation,moderate exercise,stress control can modify borderline and hypertension per se.