Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Congenital MR

feedle - Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on this.

I'm 25 years old and have a congenital MR, not a true prolapse. I found out about it when I was 15 after being unwell, but my family always knew about it.

I started having echos every 5 years from then and it was classed as mild to moderate and my activities were not restricted. But I recently had my latest echo and it showed there was dilation in both the LV and LA. No one has given me a straight answer about what I can expect in the future, what restrictions if any, I would like to exercise and lose a little weight but I am uncertain of my limits as I have often pushed myself beyond what I should as if to prove to myself I could do it.The results from the echo were as follows:

2D:
LVOT Diam 2.24cm
Ao Arch Diam 2.28cm
LA area 26 cm sq
RA area 18.20 cm sq
MR fllow 330.97 ml/s
EF biplane 66.63%

M-Mode:
IVSd 0.51cm
LVIDd 6.19cm
LVPWd 0.58cm
IVSs 1.09cm
LVIDs 4.12cm
EF (Teich) 61.01%
%FS 33.33%
Ao Diam 3.04cm
LA Diam 4.12cm
LA/Ao 1.36

Doppler:
MV E vel 0.73m/s
MV DecT 444.96ms
MV E/A Ratio 1.22
MV Vmax 0.74m/s
MV maxPG 2.20mmHg
MV meanPG 0.42mmHg
MV VTi 28.12cm
MV A Dur 162.66ms
MV E/Em 9.74
AV Vmax 1.44m/s
AV maxPG 8.31mmHg
AV meanPG 4.29mmHg
AVA Vmax 3.05cm sq
AVA (VTI) 2.55cm sq
TR maxPG 31.55mmHg
MRVTI 193.78 cm
MR ERO 0.63 cm sq
MR RV 122.60ml

I would very much appreciate any advice

Regards
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu May 19, 2005 4:29 pm

User avatar Dear Feedle,

You have very mild dilatation of the the left atrium and left ventricle. Your heart has a normal systolic function (contracts with normal force) and i don't think that there should be any restrictions for now.

i think that you ought to have your echos more frequently and i think it is not a bad idea to talk to your doctor about indications for surgery (mitral valve replacement) and whether he/she expects regarding the progress of the regurgitation.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us