Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Complications of Mitral Valve Repair

AlliP - Mon May 23, 2005 3:05 pm

My 57 year old father had 2 open heart surgeries within 6 days to repair his severely leaking mitral valve (he has now been diagnosed with Marfan's Syndrome). On the second try it was officially "fixed". He is now having major complications with pulmonary congestion. He was just readmitted into the hospital this morning due to the congestion. He had only been home for 10 days. There is no fluid being retained around his heart, just in his lungs. Is this a typical complication? Should we be worried?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:31 pm

User avatar Dear AlliP,

I hope your dad is doing ok now.

After open heart surgery in general, having fluid in the lungs is not an uncommon problem.

The function of the left ventricle has to be evaluated and he needs to be started on medications according to his left ventricular function. Evaluation of the left ventricular function is usually done using an echocardiogram.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.