Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Echo results

amaness007 - Sun May 29, 2005 5:43 pm

HI,

I hope you can help me. I am 34 years old, 28 weeks pregnant with twins, and I just recently had an echo done because I was diagnosed with Mild Mitral regurg. last year, and I mentioned to my OB that I had just recently started to have mild chest pains and shortness of breath.

I had an echo done on 3/25/04 also. I have listed the results from both:
The recent echo says: 5/16/05
Diagnosis: PHTN, Mild MR/TR
Everything shows normal with the exception of :
Mitral Valve: trace mitral valve regurgitation is seen
Triscuspid Valve: Mild tricuspid regurgitation is detected
Pulmonic Valve: Pulmonic Valve was not well visualized. Pulmonary Pressure mildly elevated 40 mmhg.

the echo on 3/25/04 says:
Diagnosis CP - I have no clue of what that means
All else is normal except:
Right Ventricle: Is mildly dilated
MItral Valve : mild mitral regurgitation is seen
Tricuspid Valve: Trivial Triscuspid regurgitation is seen
Pulmonary pressure: normal

My question is do I have PH? I am so confused and scared to death. My cardio. is acting so cold about this whole thing and when I ask her what we need to do she finally agreed to do a 2nd echo only because my OB called her. Everything I have read says that PH is deadly to a mother in pregnancy, I am 7 mths pregnant and I have a 13 year old and I am not ready to leave this world. Please advise me on what actions I can take to insure staying alive.

Thank you,
Angie
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 31, 2005 9:33 am

User avatar Was your ECG abnormal and consistent with PHTN?

Have you asked your cardiologist to explain exactly why she is being nonchalant about it? I really doubt it is serious, mild tricuspid is very common, and your pressure isn't severe. I do think it is worth watching, however. Did she recommend follow up rechecks?

PTHN is a very serious disease, and if you had the other tests to confirm it, she would be more proactive. I recommend you talk to her about it so you completely understand and can get peace of mind.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Shannon