Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Echo results

amaness007 - Sun May 29, 2005 5:43 pm

HI,

I hope you can help me. I am 34 years old, 28 weeks pregnant with twins, and I just recently had an echo done because I was diagnosed with Mild Mitral regurg. last year, and I mentioned to my OB that I had just recently started to have mild chest pains and shortness of breath.

I had an echo done on 3/25/04 also. I have listed the results from both:
The recent echo says: 5/16/05
Diagnosis: PHTN, Mild MR/TR
Everything shows normal with the exception of :
Mitral Valve: trace mitral valve regurgitation is seen
Triscuspid Valve: Mild tricuspid regurgitation is detected
Pulmonic Valve: Pulmonic Valve was not well visualized. Pulmonary Pressure mildly elevated 40 mmhg.

the echo on 3/25/04 says:
Diagnosis CP - I have no clue of what that means
All else is normal except:
Right Ventricle: Is mildly dilated
MItral Valve : mild mitral regurgitation is seen
Tricuspid Valve: Trivial Triscuspid regurgitation is seen
Pulmonary pressure: normal

My question is do I have PH? I am so confused and scared to death. My cardio. is acting so cold about this whole thing and when I ask her what we need to do she finally agreed to do a 2nd echo only because my OB called her. Everything I have read says that PH is deadly to a mother in pregnancy, I am 7 mths pregnant and I have a 13 year old and I am not ready to leave this world. Please advise me on what actions I can take to insure staying alive.

Thank you,
Angie
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 31, 2005 9:33 am

User avatar Was your ECG abnormal and consistent with PHTN?

Have you asked your cardiologist to explain exactly why she is being nonchalant about it? I really doubt it is serious, mild tricuspid is very common, and your pressure isn't severe. I do think it is worth watching, however. Did she recommend follow up rechecks?

PTHN is a very serious disease, and if you had the other tests to confirm it, she would be more proactive. I recommend you talk to her about it so you completely understand and can get peace of mind.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Shannon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us