Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Heart flutter and chest pain

 buffettdoor3 - Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male who has been at about 280lbs most of his life. I went up to about 350 and under alot of stress. I started getting heart palpitations and I worried all the time. I went to the cardiologist and they did a two day nucler stress test on me and said it was great, that was 11 months ago. They also did a holter monitor for 24 hours. I stopped thinking about it and they went away but when I got under more stress they came back. I went back to the doctor and they had me wear a event monitor for 30 days. Well after about 12 days or so I had had tons of these things so I went to find out what was up. I was told that they were I belive premature contractions that everyone gets and some people just feel them more than others and not to worry. Well I was told to wear the monitor for 15 more days to see if anything raised it's head but I didn't because I had had all the problems during the first 12 days and it got in my way at work. I am now at 334lbs and loosing when I come back from the gym I feel some of these heart palps. I asked my doctor if they can make your arm hurt and things like that and she said without question. Could my weight be causing these palps. I don't really have any family history of heart problems. I don't smoke nor do I drink. I don't drink soft drinks but am under stress and I do worry more than I should to be honest. My dad does get heart palps when he eats alot of caffine. I don't normaly eat or drink caffine. What I am feeling is like a flutter almost, sometimes stronger than others sometimes I am tired afterwords. Sometimes my left arm hurts or pain up my neck. When this happens I stretch and move around and then it stops after a little bit. Its almost like I get really tense and worry for a bit about it then I feel better if I can get my mind off it.
Thank you so much for your opinion. I have read so much about this problem but I want to know about me in general. One more thing does laying on your lft side do anything for you.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:47 pm

User avatar Your sympoms sound normal for PVCs - anxiety usually accompanies them. You get them, you worry, you get more, etc.

If they are bothersome and worry you a lot, ask the doctor if being on a beta or channel blocker would be appropriate; beta blockers can also have a calming effect.

To reduce the frequency on your own, cut out any caffeine (you didn't mention if you drank coffee or tea), sugar, stimulants of any kind i.e. sinus and some allergy medications and weight loss "supplements", get at least 8 hours of sleep EVERY night and on a strict schedule, continue working out at a reasonable pace, and reduce your stress as much as possible. If you continue to have anxiety/worrying, talk to your doctor about getting something for that.
 buffettdoor3 - Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:59 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. I will do as you have told me and Lord willing they will go away for good. I am trying to get down to 200 lbs and stay there I have been there before but it's almost like my body wants to stay around 250 or so but I am about to be 30 soon so I need to do it now. Again thank you so much.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:43 pm

User avatar You're very welcome - keep up the excercise and you will make it. Good luck to you!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us