Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Missed beats, racing heart, now chest pains

 rebecca-marie - Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:51 am

Thanks in advance for any help.
I am 42, female, overweight but otherwise healthy. Over the last few months have been experiencing missed beatswhich can go on for a few days and then nothing for a while and two weeks ago was woken by a very fast heart beat and a feeling of breathlessness. I had no pain,but was absolutely terrifed. By the time my husband got me to the er my heart rate was normal, ecg showed normal as did the blood tests. They have checked my thyroid too which is also normal. For the last couple of days i have also been getting unusual pains in my chest on the left side. This is not related to anything as far as i know - it wakes me up at night,also when out walking the dog anytime reallly. I was told at er that unless the ecg could be taken when my heart was racing they could not tell me what type of svt i have. Please help with any info as things are definately getting worse, i don't suffer with anxiety,and am not usually stressed. Also i have never smoked and drink little alcohol.
Thank you.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:59 am

User avatar You need to have an event monitor so you can catch these rapid beats - see a cardiologist. If it happens again, try holding your breath and bearing down like you were having a BM for a few seconds, or put your face in ice water. Many times these maneuvers can slow it down to normal. If that doesn't work, you may consider taking medication for it.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us