Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: S/P RF Ablation for WPW syndrome

CindySimpson - Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:32 pm

I was diagnosed with WPW syndrome in 1997. In 1998 I underwent an ablation, and three months later had another one done. I was told (after 1 year of being symptom-free) that I was 'cured' of the extra electrical pathway problem.
I was wondering if it's safe to drink caffeine now? Or will I always be susceptible to PVC's and rapid hrt rate? I notice I do get PVCs a bit more when I have caffeine, or chocolate. Is this OK?
Thanks for any answer to my question.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:41 am

People with Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome are born with a normal pathway for these electrical pulses but also have an abnormal one too. If the impulses go down both pathways the heart is stimulated to pump irregularly and too often. When this happens people feel their heart racing and pounding having what are called palpitations.

It is possible to remove the abnormal pathway by burning it away and a heart specialist does this under anesthesia. Many people find that certain things trigger their palpitations such as caffeine, tiredness, or stress.

Ablation cures the WPW syndrome roughly 90 percent of the time. However, some patients have multiple accessory pathways. In these patients, one of the pathways may not be detected and ablated during the initial procedure and the arrhythmia may reoccur. When this happens, the ablation procedure is repeated, generally with very good results.

If you feel palpitations still I would recommend not consuming caffeine, alcohol or any other stimulant until you talk to your cardiologist. You may have another pathway you don’t know about.