Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Supraventricular Tachacardia - HELP

knordby - Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm 25 yrs old and recently was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachacarda. I have had heart palpitations most of my life. I was on a holster monitor when I was in high school, but had no symptoms, so no action was taken at that time. In September of this last year I was admitted into the emergency room with a heart beat of over 200 bpm, which I though at the time was an anxiety attack. I was given a shot to lower my heart rate and was told I have SVT. I was told at the time that there was nothing I could do to cause this to happen, it's just a disorder that can happen at any given time. I'm still having palpitations periodically, but nothing that has lasted over a few seconds. I've had EKGs and also had an Echocardiogram that came back normal. I have a history of anxiety and have been to counsiling to aleviate stress related issues. I'm worried that I may need to be on medication, but being my symptoms are infrequent (5-6 times a month), I'm being told that I need no sort of treatment. I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life for this, but it's a scary thing, and it's causing me to have anxiety as I have no idea when or where I may have these "attacks". Please help.
 Kim C, RN - Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:04 pm

Recurrent SVT can go untreated if it occurs infrequently. Some people DO require medications like digoxin or beta-blockers. Others require a procedure called an ablation; this destroys a tiny part of the heart that triggers the abnormal electircal impulses.

Do you have a regular cardiologist?? That would be the person who can answer your questions most completely and guide you to the best treatment for you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us