Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Supraventricular Tachacardia - HELP

 knordby - Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm 25 yrs old and recently was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachacarda. I have had heart palpitations most of my life. I was on a holster monitor when I was in high school, but had no symptoms, so no action was taken at that time. In September of this last year I was admitted into the emergency room with a heart beat of over 200 bpm, which I though at the time was an anxiety attack. I was given a shot to lower my heart rate and was told I have SVT. I was told at the time that there was nothing I could do to cause this to happen, it's just a disorder that can happen at any given time. I'm still having palpitations periodically, but nothing that has lasted over a few seconds. I've had EKGs and also had an Echocardiogram that came back normal. I have a history of anxiety and have been to counsiling to aleviate stress related issues. I'm worried that I may need to be on medication, but being my symptoms are infrequent (5-6 times a month), I'm being told that I need no sort of treatment. I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life for this, but it's a scary thing, and it's causing me to have anxiety as I have no idea when or where I may have these "attacks". Please help.
 Kim C, RN - Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:04 pm

Recurrent SVT can go untreated if it occurs infrequently. Some people DO require medications like digoxin or beta-blockers. Others require a procedure called an ablation; this destroys a tiny part of the heart that triggers the abnormal electircal impulses.

Do you have a regular cardiologist?? That would be the person who can answer your questions most completely and guide you to the best treatment for you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us