Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Supraventricular Tachacardia - HELP

knordby - Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm 25 yrs old and recently was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachacarda. I have had heart palpitations most of my life. I was on a holster monitor when I was in high school, but had no symptoms, so no action was taken at that time. In September of this last year I was admitted into the emergency room with a heart beat of over 200 bpm, which I though at the time was an anxiety attack. I was given a shot to lower my heart rate and was told I have SVT. I was told at the time that there was nothing I could do to cause this to happen, it's just a disorder that can happen at any given time. I'm still having palpitations periodically, but nothing that has lasted over a few seconds. I've had EKGs and also had an Echocardiogram that came back normal. I have a history of anxiety and have been to counsiling to aleviate stress related issues. I'm worried that I may need to be on medication, but being my symptoms are infrequent (5-6 times a month), I'm being told that I need no sort of treatment. I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life for this, but it's a scary thing, and it's causing me to have anxiety as I have no idea when or where I may have these "attacks". Please help.
 Kim C, RN - Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:04 pm

Recurrent SVT can go untreated if it occurs infrequently. Some people DO require medications like digoxin or beta-blockers. Others require a procedure called an ablation; this destroys a tiny part of the heart that triggers the abnormal electircal impulses.

Do you have a regular cardiologist?? That would be the person who can answer your questions most completely and guide you to the best treatment for you.