Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: What to expect after mitral and aortal valve replacement

Smokey66 - Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:39 am

My 70-year old mother is scheduled to have mitral and aortal replacement surgery in September.
I will be taking special leave from work and was thinking of a 4-week period but have no idea as to what i should expect in terms of recovery time, which i understand is extremely variable. The problem arises as I live abroad and need to organise things now and cannot be very flexible once flights are booked etc.
Any additional practical aftercare advice is also much appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:34 am

User avatar Hi Smokey66,
A hospital stay of approximately 1 week should be expected and of that week about 3 days in an Intensive Care Unit. Although total recovery may take some time depending on health status prior to surgery but generally speaking about 6 weeks is the usual amount of time expected for instance, returning to work in a nonstressful, undemanding physical job. Her physician may suggest a cardiac rehabilitation program which by the way is excellent with rebuilding stamina and evaluation of progress. She may also hear a clicking sound much like the ticking of a clock while at rest from the artificial valves (if metal valves) are used and this is quite normal but may take some time getting used to. Your 4 week period stay should most likely be adequate providing there are no complications.