Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Summer cough

Denise967 - Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:07 am

Hi, my name is Tonya.
I have a very bad dry cough. I had the same cough last summer and it seemed to come back this summer. I don't cough all day long though. I seem to cough alot when i'm hungry, or after I eat. THe coughing sometimes leads to me spitting up. Not in a major way but when the coughing gets deep I feel like I have to spit up. I don't know what is wrong. My throat also is a little sore behind the coughing
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:56 pm

User avatar Tonya, if your doctor has ruled out anything to do with lung function or allergies, you may be suffering from GERD (reflux disease). In some cases the acid can irritate the throat and cause coughing. If this is the case it can be treated. See your doctor, as leaving it untreated can lead to erosion of the stomach and espophageal lining, and ulcer disease.