Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Summer cough

Denise967 - Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:07 am

Hi, my name is Tonya.
I have a very bad dry cough. I had the same cough last summer and it seemed to come back this summer. I don't cough all day long though. I seem to cough alot when i'm hungry, or after I eat. THe coughing sometimes leads to me spitting up. Not in a major way but when the coughing gets deep I feel like I have to spit up. I don't know what is wrong. My throat also is a little sore behind the coughing
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:56 pm

User avatar Tonya, if your doctor has ruled out anything to do with lung function or allergies, you may be suffering from GERD (reflux disease). In some cases the acid can irritate the throat and cause coughing. If this is the case it can be treated. See your doctor, as leaving it untreated can lead to erosion of the stomach and espophageal lining, and ulcer disease.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us