Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest and clavicle pain-hospital stay with no answers

happyduck - Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:16 pm

I am a 19 year old female, and about a month and a half ago I was hospitalized for 3 days due to sever abdominal pain, high fever, and a high WBC count. They did numerous tests and could not find out the source of the problem. I finally decided to go home without an answer. The abdominal pain has not gone away, but has diminished. Then, about 3 weeks ago I went to the ER because of severe rib pain. They thought I had blood clots in the lung and did a CT scan, and after finding nothing abnormal, diagnosed me with costochondritis. The doctor said to take high doses of Ibuprofen for a week and that the pain would go away. The pain has not gone away but has moved up into my clavicle and upper chest. The pain worsens when I breathe and move. It has gotten to the point where it is getting hard to breathe because the pain is so severe. I have a cough every now and then that's deep and vibrates my whole chest, but I only cough every now and then, usually when I'm laying down. I almost don't want to go back to the hospital because they have no idea what is wrong with me. What should I do? Thank you!
 chuck - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:27 am

That sounds just like what happened to me, only I had a dull ache in the base of my back, so I don't know if you could call that abdominal pain.....

My pain comes and goes, but sounds identical to yours. I too don't want to go back to the hospital as I know they won't find anything.....

No idea what to do. I've posted my story a little higher up in this section

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us