Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Chest and clavicle pain-hospital stay with no answers

happyduck - Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:16 pm

I am a 19 year old female, and about a month and a half ago I was hospitalized for 3 days due to sever abdominal pain, high fever, and a high WBC count. They did numerous tests and could not find out the source of the problem. I finally decided to go home without an answer. The abdominal pain has not gone away, but has diminished. Then, about 3 weeks ago I went to the ER because of severe rib pain. They thought I had blood clots in the lung and did a CT scan, and after finding nothing abnormal, diagnosed me with costochondritis. The doctor said to take high doses of Ibuprofen for a week and that the pain would go away. The pain has not gone away but has moved up into my clavicle and upper chest. The pain worsens when I breathe and move. It has gotten to the point where it is getting hard to breathe because the pain is so severe. I have a cough every now and then that's deep and vibrates my whole chest, but I only cough every now and then, usually when I'm laying down. I almost don't want to go back to the hospital because they have no idea what is wrong with me. What should I do? Thank you!
 chuck - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:27 am

That sounds just like what happened to me, only I had a dull ache in the base of my back, so I don't know if you could call that abdominal pain.....

My pain comes and goes, but sounds identical to yours. I too don't want to go back to the hospital as I know they won't find anything.....

No idea what to do. I've posted my story a little higher up in this section