Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: I sometimes have pain on the left side of my chest

Gulet - Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:44 pm

The left side of my chest pains sometimes, to the extent that I can't sleep well. This pain also makes it hard for me to breath normally. I take so long before I go through it, but I know it's something that has followed me for years. So please help tell me whether what I have is pneumonia or anything else, and how to get medication. Thank you.
 derek - Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:56 pm

I beleive that what it is you suffer from is simply muscular tension and the muscle seizes up and you are unable to breathe. pneumonia does not last for years but instead it lasts a few days if untreated then it will send you to hospital. If you simply wait a few minutes it will disperse. if it troubles you lots then you must go to your doctor and tell him/her

derek
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:35 pm

As derek says, pneumonia wouldn't last for years. It can last a lot longer than a few days, though, just for the record, and people can have it for weeks or months before it is diagnosed. There are many kinds of pneumonias, but most of them have many other symptoms besides pain (if any, it is usually an ache in the ribs on the affected side). You may well have costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilege between the ribs. You could also have a pinched nerve, or at least one that becomes pinched when you are in the most comfortable posture for going to sleep. It is probably an orthopedic problem. If an anti-inflammatory over-the-counter drug like ibuprofen (as Advil, for instance) helps, then it is an inflammatory collagen problem. If that doesn't help, then you should have a doctor evaluate you for possible nerve or other orthopedic problem involving your ribs on the affected side.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.