Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest right lung

 delcy - Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:52 pm

I already asked this question but i can't seem to find were i put it, so i hope its ok that i ask again. Since last december ive had a pain in my right lung but only at the very top near my shoulder. It hurts when i breath in, not so much when i breath out. Ive had a chest x-ray done but there was nothing, the doctor seems to think its just a muscle. Its so deep inside and not a pain that need pain medication its just there all the time. If i stick out my chest or move my arm in a certain way i can feel it but it just doesn't feel like a muscle. I do smoke and have quit several times but just keep starting up. Just want to know if i should be worried and go back to the doctors. Can this really be a muscle?
Thanks, Delcy
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:42 pm

User avatar Dear delcy,

Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung. According to your description it is more likely to the cause of your symptoms.

The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases.
The pain is felt like sharp pain on one side or less commonly in both sides, it increases with deep breath. The pain usually stops once you hold your breath and result in rapid, shallow breathing.

Being a smoker makes you at higher risk of repeated chest infection.

The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.

If you have a productive cough with yellowish or greenish sputum, or high fever, you should visit your doctor immediately to receive the proper medical care.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.
Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us