Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Chest pains under left breast

about_a_girl - Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Im an 18year old female I weigh about 165pounds and i am about 5'7. For the last few months i have been experiencing sharp pains that last for no more then a few seconds under my left breast. The pain varies some days it is just a sharp dull pain and then other times it is enough to make me double over.. it last for 3-4 seconds then it dissappears almost instantly. Sometimes it feels like the pain is all across my chest, but most of the time is stays right under my left breast. Last year I broke 2 of my ribs when i had a cold, by just turning. I though perhaps it had something to do with that? I also have found latelty that i am more tired. I am also bigger chested that has caused problems for me in my back and my neck.. I don't know if that at all is connected, but I mine as well put it down, just in case. I hope you can help me with this, as it has become quite a bit of a worry for me.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:52 pm

User avatar Dear about_a_girl,
Is this pain associated with any tenderness, in another meaning does it hurt you when you press on the place where you experience this pain or any area around? Is it increases when you are exposed to cold air? Is it associated with certain movements? If it is associated with any of these signs, it is probably a myo-skeletal pain and the possibility that you have had your ribs broken the last year is more likely to be related.
I did not understand however, how your ribs got broken; there must be an underlying cause of this susceptibility for fracture.
If you have not been examined by your doctor after you experienced these symptoms, I advise you to visit him for proper management.