Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Strange chest pains and sensations

 JAKJ00 - Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:39 am

am writing in regards to my boyfriend's strange chest symtoms. He is 36 years old and has been experiencing strange pains and sensations in his chest for approx. 1 year. The pain are in the upper left side of his chest, almost in the shoulder area. He has had the usual tests by a cardiologist...EKG's, treadmill test etc. Doctor's concluded it was Anxiety and put him on a muscle relaxer and 2 anti Anxiety meds....his Chest pains did not subside. Since then he has cut down on the anti-Anxiety meds and no longer takes the muscle relaxer ( it sapped all his energy). He complains on constant uncomfortable feelings, lots of Back pain and strange "wave feelings in his chest" sometimes at night. He is currently seeing a chiropractor as he thought the pain may be back related, but it seems to have had little effect. I am wondering if it may be nerve or muscle related. If so, what steps can be taken to diagnosed this issue better. He is miserable and stressed about the possible cause of these symptoms. In addition I will say that since beginning the meds, he has gained 30 lbs and feels worried to exercise more because of the pains. Any help would be appreciated very much.
 mdlpena - Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:12 pm

i'm only 21 years old and i've been having the same feelings in my chest that your bf is having. I'm anxious to know what a physician might say. Take care of yourselves. =)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us