Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest pressure, cough, more...

nelly145 - Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:15 pm

I am 20 years old, female, do not smoke. For about 3 months, on and off, I have been having strange chest and throat symptoms. There is a pressure and soreness in my chest, if i even lay a hand of my chest it feels so much pressure like someone is sitting on it. I feel as though i cannot take a satisfying deep breath. I always have to urge to cough and clear my throat and "hawk" up mucus, it rarely subsides during the day. The mucus is usually clear or light yellow, but occasionally a larger chunk of darker yellow/tan will come up. I have also noticed at times my chest up through my neck/throat feel really hot inside, like my breath is really hot or something. Also I get a high heart rate at times and it feels irregular at times, too. Sometimes I get this all day and night, other times just for a 1/2 hr. to a few hours a day. For some reason I have this fear of pulmonary embolism due to having a high d-dimer. Would symptoms of PE come and go though or would they remain constant or get worse? Any other ideas on this? thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 24, 2006 5:44 am

User avatar Hi nelly145,
A productive cough of yellow, or green colored sputum usually indicates a respiratory infection. I certainly hope that you have had an evaluation by your physician. Symptoms of a Pulmonary Embolism would typically remain constant and actually worsen and may be life threatening if left untreated. Your symptoms, in my opinion, would not be a likely picture of a PE but would be more indicative of a respiratory infection.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us