Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Chest Pains - normal?

buffamic - Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:36 pm

I am a healthy (or at least I think) 22 year old female. Drink occassionally, no drugs, no smoking, eat healthy, etc. For about a year or so now, I have noticed that I get these sharp chest pains on the left side/center, mostly the left side. Sometimes it's a bit duller, other times it's very sharp and scares me. There is a large history of heart disease in my family, so i guess I've been scared to tell anyone and/or go see my doctor. Sometimes it's daily, or it is as little as once a week. Sometimes it's lengthy, often, or other times it's short. I have noticed too that it often wakes me up in the middle of the night or the morning, and I just have to lay there. Is this 'normal?" Or is there something serious I should be scared about? I guess I just don't know...I feel like I shouldn't be having any problems like this, I'm a young, healthy 22 year old. But, the pains do scare me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:49 am

User avatar Hi buffamic,
Any chest pain of course should be evaluated by a physician to rule out a cardiac origin. However, there are conditions related to noncardiac chest pain, ie, stress and anxiety, conditions related to nearby organs such as the esophagus, stomach (GERD).I would encourage you to have an evaluation to identify the causative factor.