Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: trouble taking deep breath and alot of chest pressure/pain

 Alexis25 - Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:45 pm

I am a 26 year old relatively healthy female. About a month ago I had trouble breathing. I felt like I was breathing in and out fine, but the breath wasn't working.. like I was suffocating and breathing at same time. Every minute or so I had to stop and take really deep breath. Which I could only sometimes get a satisfying deep breath?
After a clear chest xray, I went for a pulmonary function test and got diagnosed with asthma and received advair. After using this twice daily for a week, I felt no better. The feeling of suffocating is as bad as ever, and now 3 days ago I got really bad chest pressure. feels as if someone is sitting on my chest.
My doc then sent me for a cat scan to check for blood clots in the lung and I do not have any.
This is horrible and scary and I feel like Im dying. My doc doesn't seem to have any other ideas, and just blames the asthema. How can asthma this severe come and worsen in weeks? How come my chest is so heavy?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:39 am

User avatar Hi Alexis25,
Symptoms of asthma can have a sudden onset, produce chest tightness, shortness of breath, wheezing, etc. Symptoms can be quite distressing to say the least. If your Advair inhaler has thus far been ineffective, there are other medications used in treatment of Asthma. Is your physician a Pulmonologist? If not, and he/she is having difficulty finding appropriate treatment in alleviating your symptoms, inquire about a referral to a Pulmonologist as these physicians are specialists in treating respiratory conditions.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us