Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: 17/f with dull chest pain when swallowing

meggy06 - Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 am

feb 27 i came home from work at 11 at night with a huge headache and stomach ache. i didn't eat anything for about 9 hours and was too tired to eat. i ended up puking up some coke i drank before i went to bed, and thought i'd just sleep it off my headache.
well about 5:45 that morning, my dogs started barking. so i woke up, walked to my window and yelled at them. i was about to go back to sleep but i was thirsty so i took a big gulp of the big red sitting on my nightstand.
and the weirdest thing happened. it seemed like my chest locked up and i couldn't swallow. i tried several times to swallow but the pain in my chest was so intense i could barely do it. and as this was all happening, i lost my hearing. i also felt extremely hot all of a sudden and broke into a sweat. the pains continued as i stumbled to the bathroom and splashed my face with water. i felt better after that and layed back down.
i figured that would be the end of it and once i ate something i would be ok, but currently, i am still having the pain in my chest whenever i swallow. and honestly, i am scared to death over wondering what is wrong with me. thanks for any help anyone can give me.

1. Age: 17
2. Sex: female
3. Past diagnoses: i had mono about 3 months ago?
4. Past surgeries: i had my tonsils and adenoids taken out when i was 6
5. Family history: my mom had kidney failure and a kidney transplant
6. Current Medications: none. but i thought i should mention that i do smoke. could that be the problem?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:54 am

User avatar Hi meggy06,
Many conditions may produce symptoms of difficulty swallowing and accompanying chest discomfort including, anxiety, stress, gerd, etc. etc. Smoking, also is an irritant. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor and if an underlying disorder is present appropriate inteventions can be initiated.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us