Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Left side chest discomfort

 AJay - Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:09 am

Hi. I'm a 21 year old male with no past surgeries, current medications or family history. I'm a do not smoke. I do have asthma, but not severe, infact I used my inhaler for the first time in years today.

Yesterday I had trouble lying on my left side in bed, it brough a discomfort to my chest which wore off if i lied on my right side. However even on the right it was uncomfortable though slightly less.

Today, the discomfort in my chest is noticable even when sat or stood up. It feels almost as if there is a blockage or norrowing of my airways.

I also have a small lump under my chin which has been there for years. I researched this as saliva glands (i hope). This lump/gland was swollen yesterday to the size of a pea and I could feel it when eating. However today the swelling appears to have reduced slightly. The lump does not hurt in anyway.

It's my chest I'm worried about, what are the possible causes to this? I'm very worried and any help would be greatly appreciated.

 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:07 am

User avatar Hi AJay,
When there is any constriction of the passages of the airway, ie., bronchioles, etc. chest discomfort may arise, as well as the feeling of difficulty breathing or getting a "good" breath. One of the conditions associated may of course be asthma. An evaluation by your physician would determine if treatment for this condition should be initiated. Best wishes.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us