Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Fever & pain after pneumonia & pleurisy

tbarson - Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:03 pm

I've been on antibiotics for 24 days since being released from the hospital for pneumonia & pleurisy. I still have some fever every day (about 99.5-99.9) and some chest pain (dull ache). What causes the fever? I can't believe there's still infection after the intravenous antibiotics at the hospital & the 24 days of oral antibiotics. I'm female, 52, healthy & in good shape (other than this recent illness).
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs resulting from infections. Most of cases are due to bacterial pneumonias (Streptococcus pneumoniae).
Patients with pneumonia presents with:
Productive Cough ( yellow, greenish, or bloody)
Fever and chills
Chest pain
Breathing difficulty and Dyspnea

Patients usually improve after a two weeks course of antibiotics and may need to be hospitalized.
If after treatment there is any chest symptoms , patients should contact their doctors to exclude any possible complication like (lung abscess), these symptoms include:

-Persistent fever
-Dyspnea
-Chest pain
-Productive cough

I advise you to follow with your doctor for further management.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us