Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: knot on left chestbone

rohndav - Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm 41 a female I went to the dr for a bump thats in my left breast they did a sono gram and mamogram and didn't find anything
I told the people who did the sonogram that it was on my bone not in the fatty part, but they didn't listen.
I went 4 years ago and at that time it was a inch long now it's three inches long and it's painful to feel it.
I have no past surgeries.
no breast cancer in the family
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:42 pm

If this swelling is felt close to the sternum,This could be due to costochondritis.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage as it connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It is commonly seen in females. When a swelling is felt the condition is known as Tietze's syndrome.

Pain and tenderness are usually present. The condition may result in breathing difficulties or chest pain similar to that of cardiac origin.

Chest X-ray is usually normal.

I advise you to seek orthopedic consultation.
Direct clinical examination is essential.