Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest pain on right side, especially during deep breath

 brobob - Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:19 am

I am a 30 year old male, non smoker. For a few days, I have had a dull pain on the right side of my chest area near the center of my rib cage. It worsens when I take a deep breath and becomes more of a sharp pain. The area is tender to the touch but there is no visible bruising. I have had some slight shortness of breath since it is painful to take deep breaths. The pain seems worse when I am sitting rather than standing and I was unable to sleep on my right side. About 12 years ago, I had a spontaneous pnuemothorax. Could this be a recurrance or does it sound more like a muscle strain? I haven't done anything out of the ordinary lately?

Thanks for any help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:43 pm

User avatar The symptoms you are describing are likely due to costochondritis. The area you are having your pain in is the area where the rib bone becomes cartilage. This area is susceptible to inflammation producing the pain.

Costochondritis is typically diagnosed by pressing on the affected area. If it causes the same pain, then this is the diagnosis. If one presses on the painful area and the pain is not recreated it is unlikely to be this.

Ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory medication is the pain medicine of choice. If this doesn't help or if the pain continues for more than a day or so, I recommend you be evaluated by your doctor.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us