Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: What do I do after my heart heart attack

serenity22 - Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:13 pm

[bHi,

I live in a rural area where there is no advanced health treatment and I am not feeling well enough to drive hundreds of miles to go see a dcotr.

I had a crushing feeling in my chest and my heart has hurt really badly since that time., I have a pressure feeling there all of the tiime. I started taking fish oil and aspirin and am starting to feel a little bit better but I am still having the pressure in my chest. I'm going to try chelation therapy next.

I'm trying to get alot of rest, keep myself calm and eat a high fiber diet. I have recently purchased a book 100 Ways to Reverse Heart Disease. Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you in advance for responding[/b]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:09 am

User avatar Hi serenity22,
Were you diagnosed with a heart attack? Generally speaking, after a heart attack, a change in diet to a healthy lowfat diet is recommended. Depending on the causative factor of the heart attack, possibly resuming an exercise/activity program/walking may be recommended after the routine follow up is completed by a Cardiologist. I would strongly suggest that you have an evaluation by a healthcare professional.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:28 pm

User avatar Hi Serenity22 - I would just like to second the advice of Ms. Jones and urge to you find some way to get to a medical facility for at least a primary cardiac workup. If you have, in fact, suffered a heart attack you will need some sort of regimen and medical follow up.

It's entirely possible (unless you were actually diagnosed by an MD as having had a heart attack) that you have something else more benign going on, in which case I know I would want to know that so that I could be sure I was taking the proper approach to caring for it (this could just as easily be something like gastric esophgeal reflux disease - GERD - or something related, and the therapy for that would be very different from what you might do following an actual heart attack).

I can understand your reluctance to travel such a great distance, but when the question is one of whether or not you have a life-threatening medical problem, I think it would be well worth the trouble to impose, if necessary, on a friend or relative or someone to help you get to at least a basic healthcare facility, where it can be determined whether or not you even require "advanced" care.

Good luck to you and please do stay in touch.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us