Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: back pain with breathing

 gonenutty - Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:10 am

i am male and 39 years of age, no meds and healty

the other night i came home drunk, i think i fell agaisnt a wall and blacked out, cause i woke up on the floor and don't remember falling, anyway, the leftside of my upper back really hurts and still does a week later, when i breathe in, i feel pain in my back as i described above, and my neck hurts a bit to, just want to know if this will pass, aspirin seems to help but only for a short period of time

thank you for your time

i tryed a few forums for answers, but most are outdated
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:52 am

User avatar Hello there!

There's no way anyone can give you a valuable assessment of your condition over the internet without examining you first hand.

That said, pain that increases with inhalation has been known to result from muscle inflammation (or trauma) as well as potentially more concerning conditions such as pleurisy (inflammation of the pleura).

I really will not be able to rule out anything here. I strongly recommend that you seek your doctor's attention.

 gonenutty - Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:42 am

i thought maybe i cracked a rib possibly
 gonenutty - Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 am

also having trouble getting a deep breath, i must tell u that i am a smoker, but b4 this i was fine
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:09 am

User avatar Hello,

I think you have waited long enough to observe this, you really should have it examined if its been going on for so long.

It could be a cracked rib depending on the nature and severity of the fall.

All of this can probably be resolved by an examination alone. Have it checked and please update your thread here.

Best regards,
 gonenutty - Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:41 pm

im going to the hospital today, i seen a local doctor earlier today and was told possibly a partially collasped lung, bummer
 gonenutty - Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:43 pm

i have noticed i breathe better standing up then sitting, also i sleep just fine and my back doesnt hurt as bad now but im still going to the hospital in about an hour from now, ill let u know the results
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:53 pm

User avatar I am so glad you went to the doctor.

Please do update. Good luck!
 gonenutty - Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:53 pm

#4 and #5 cracked ribs, thats much for your info

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us