Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: 20 yr old women chest and arm pain

the one - Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 pm

I'am a 20 year old female and I've been having this weird burning and tingling pain in my left arm about everyday now and i also get chest pains regularly to
i am worried cause my mother died at 42 from a heart attack and my grandmother just passed away in January from the same thing
is this a sign of angina?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 22, 2007 7:14 pm

User avatar Typically, 20 would be a bit young to start having angina; however, your symptoms that you describe are consistent with angina and given your family history of early heart disease it is certainly possible.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation. It is certainly possible that this is not angina but best to be sure. Your doctor may want to check your fasting cholesterol panel, and possibly do an EKG or stress test to see if you develop any of the pain or have any heart rhythm changes indicative of heart trouble.