Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Do I have asthma?

TDM - Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 am

I have a hard time running because when I try to run I have difficulty breathing. Just the other day, for example, I ran 2 blocks to catch the train and by the time I had ran 1/4 of a block I was already out of breath; I had a hard time recovering my breath once I got inside the train. I estimate it took me about 15 minutes to achieve a normal breathing rhythm. I am overweight, so this might be the cause of the problem. I don't know. I find that I run out of breath faster than I run out of energy, however.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I have also noticed that I have a hard time breathing even when I am not exercising because my nose almost always seems congested. It doesn't matter if I blow my nose or take anti-allergy medications. My nostrils rarely feel "clean." I have noticed that sometimes sudden changes in temperature help open up my nostrils. For example, if I have this problem during the winter when the temperature is cold, I find that going outside the house for a few seconds helps me open up my nostrils. It's a great sensation but it doesn't last too long.

How likely is it that either or both of these two symptoms is an indicative of asthma?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 22, 2007 4:34 pm

User avatar I would definitely see your doctor about your suspicions. It certainly seems likely this could be the case. Good luck.