Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Chest Wall Pains

anne_lee77 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm a mother of 3 kids, 29 yrs old and I've been having chest wall pains for the past 4-5 months. When I put pressure on my rib cage (2/3 rib cages below the colar bone) it hurts...pain is like a bruised pain. It also hurts when I lift heavy things. It really hurts when I get up from bed in the morning. I used to think it might be poor sleeping posture but now I'm worried...could it just be muscular pains or something else...?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 pm

User avatar First a little reassurance. Given that you can cause the pain by pushing on your ribs there is essentially no chance this is from the heart.

Most likely you have a condition called costochondritis. This is when the cartilage of the ribs becomes inflamed. It often can produce quite severe pain. Movement can make it worse because the ribs move. Pressing on the area reproduces the pain.

Treatment is with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (such as ibuprofen). If these do not help or if the pain worsens or doesn't get better you should see your doctor for an evaluation.