Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: amoxicillin & fever

memetosan - Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi
I have been diagnosed with pneumonia last friday (2 days ago).
Since Friday I'm on a cure with amoxicillin.

Now i have a couple of questions, hopefully you can help in answering them.

How soon should I see benefits from amoxicillin? So far, I noticed that I can breath a little easier and the way I cough has changed.

Still I have fevers during the day of around 39C. How soon should these fevers disappear after using amoxicillin? Is it dangerous to still have fever and continue using amoxicillin?

Although , already now there is some light improvement, how is determined whether the antibiotic is nog good enough?

Thanks very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:04 pm

User avatar Hi Memetosan,

Typically, it will take 24-72 hours or so for the antibiotics to begin to take effect and the fevers to begin to improve. More severe infections can take a bit longer.

It is not dangerous to continue the amoxicillin with a fever. If you do not see your fevers beginning to improve in the next 1-2 days I would recommend you see your doctor again for a follow-up evaluation.

Occasionally, amoxicillin will not cover pneumonia (although most of the time it will). This is usually signaled by failure of symptoms, including fever, to resolve.