Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: pains in chest after walking

 pokerman - Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:08 pm

hi, i'm a male 43, smoker, drinker ( daily ) recreational drug user, (cannabis), and just lately even after a short walk, going upstairs, downstairs, i get a pain in the middle of my chest. ive no past history of any health problems really, probaly seen a doctor twice in 10 years, the pain is like '' hot ache '' if you know what i mean...quite sharp, and very short of breath, but after resting it soon passes...but this just started about 2 weeks ago, even walking short distances, the pain is sharper when i breathe in. I have also discovered a pea- like lump at the entrance of my anus, ive never suffered from piles etc so this is obviousily not right...any suggestions...many thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:11 pm

User avatar Hello pokerman,

The chest pain you describe does have some of the characters of cardiac pain. Your smoking history does put you at risk. The sharp quality of the pain is not characteristic of ischemic pain. However, this is a very subjective issue. The fact that your pain is accompanied by shortness of breath on exertion and is relieved by rest is enough to warrant a thorough examination of your heart.

Regarding your pea like lump that would require an examination as there are many causes. The commonest cause as you mentioned would be a thrombosed hemorrhoid, it could also be a skin tag, or a wart.

Please refrain from smoking and visit your doctor immediately.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us