Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lump below my sturnum

 mvannote - Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:42 pm

I am a 40 year old male with no previous surgerys or major health problems other that being over weight. I am 6'1" and weigh around 240.
I noticed a few weeks ago that when I'm laying on my back and go to sit up, like i'm doing a crunch, I get a lump that protrudes just below my sternum. It raises about 1" or more from my stomach and is about 4 to 5 inches long. It only happens when I raise my head to get up.
I have been told that it might have something to do with the powerlifting i used to do several years ago.
I apoligize if i'm in the wrong area or if this has been asked before. Just didn't know where to start.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm

User avatar I can't say this is it for sure but it sounds like a protuberance of the xiphoid process of the sternum. This is a normal anatomical finding. Sometimes the end of the sternum pokes out a bit, making a hard, bony lump noticeable, especially when lying on your back. If this is the case, it has nothing to do with your exercise activities. I am assuming it is not painful.

If you need to know for sure, you should have it examined at your next appointment with your doctor, along with having your cholesterol checked, etc.
 mvannote - Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks Debbie,

I called and talked with both a nurse and a doctor today and they do want me to get it checked out by a doctor but think that I have a hernia. They think I have tore the lining located below my sternum and that I might need surgery to get it fixed/patched.
I am scheduling a doctors visit soon and will post the findings at that time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us