Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: looking for oral mucolytic besides NAC and gaui

 cyanide_sunshine - Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:21 pm

I have extremely bad post nasal drip not treatable by anything including nasal steroids (oral steroids work but bah).

Are there any other mucolytics (not expectorants) available OTC or Rx in the US.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:23 pm

User avatar Hi Cyanide_Sunshine,

I'm not familiar with other mucolytics other than guaifenasin. If post-nasal drip is your main problem you may want to try something like pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). It is available behind the pharmacy counter but does not require a prescription.

Best wishes.
 cyanide_sunshine - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 pm

For your time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us