Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lifelong Phlegmy Cough

 mplovesap - Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:56 am

Hello I am a 29 year old female. I am not on any medications. I have mild Scoliosis, lumbar Spondolisis, and PCOS.

I have always had a phlegmy cough. As a baby they said it was croup. As a child and teen years Dr's argued whether I had asthma, bronchitis, or neither. The Dr's always say my lungs sound fine and x-rays come out fine.

I always have this cough. It does not get better or worse during any part of the day. It always the same. I have a hard time coughing it up because I cant get it high enough. So Im usually have this gross cough or sound like I’m clearing my throat all the time. Sometimes I'll go into a coughing fit and finally throw up alot of phlegm, sometime with streaks of blood. Then I’m better for a few hours, maybe.

When I was younger the Dr's tried inhalers, rescue and steroid. This didn’t change anything. I’ve tried Allergy meds. This hasn’t changed anything.

Am I doomed to have this disgusting cough my whole life? What is wrong with me?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 pm

User avatar Hi Mplovesap,

A sometimes overlooked cause of a chronic cough is gastroesophageal reflux. Occasionally a chronic cough is the only symptom and there is no classic burning pain of esophageal irritation.

You may want to talk with your doctor about trying a reflux medicine for a little while to see if it helps. If it does not I would recommend you see a pulmonologist for further evaluation. You may need a bronchoscopy (where they use a small camera to look at your airways) to help figure this out.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us