Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lifelong Phlegmy Cough

mplovesap - Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:56 am

Hello I am a 29 year old female. I am not on any medications. I have mild Scoliosis, lumbar Spondolisis, and PCOS.

I have always had a phlegmy cough. As a baby they said it was croup. As a child and teen years Dr's argued whether I had asthma, bronchitis, or neither. The Dr's always say my lungs sound fine and x-rays come out fine.

I always have this cough. It does not get better or worse during any part of the day. It always the same. I have a hard time coughing it up because I cant get it high enough. So Im usually have this gross cough or sound like I’m clearing my throat all the time. Sometimes I'll go into a coughing fit and finally throw up alot of phlegm, sometime with streaks of blood. Then I’m better for a few hours, maybe.

When I was younger the Dr's tried inhalers, rescue and steroid. This didn’t change anything. I’ve tried Allergy meds. This hasn’t changed anything.

Am I doomed to have this disgusting cough my whole life? What is wrong with me?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 pm

User avatar Hi Mplovesap,

A sometimes overlooked cause of a chronic cough is gastroesophageal reflux. Occasionally a chronic cough is the only symptom and there is no classic burning pain of esophageal irritation.

You may want to talk with your doctor about trying a reflux medicine for a little while to see if it helps. If it does not I would recommend you see a pulmonologist for further evaluation. You may need a bronchoscopy (where they use a small camera to look at your airways) to help figure this out.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us