Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: 2nd Post-Chest discomfort/Heaviness/Shortness of Breath

ap10046 - Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi!
I am a 32 year old male in good health. i undergo medicals almost every year for my profession. Thank God, always clear, except for a lose weight once and a high blood pressure once.
About a year back(Sept), I was taken to the ER at 4 in the morning when I awoke with a pain like I'd been shot in my right side back below my shoulder blade. i was finding it difficult taking a deep breath and as a result breathing was very shallow. At the hospital, they administered a pain killer and took an ECG, which was clear, BP was elevated. After spending a day there and going through quite a few blood tests, etc, needless to say, all clear, I was released.
Soon after, I had a heavy cough that persisted for about a month.
It was after this time, my chest discomfort/heaviness began and has persisted till this day. My breast bone and the area around are always tender and a heating pad relieves for a while. My breath is always labored and I feel I am not getting a full lung.
I have had always had a problem with gas, usually continuous belching/burping and i do feel that it does offer some relief. I have a sort of "burning feeling" in my throat almost constantly
I feel like i'm walking around with a 10lb weight strapped to my chest and is affecting my life in many aspects
I have visited my doc twice and except for my blood pressure which has always been genetically on the higher side, all has been clear, but this problem persists and i have come to no clear understanding.

I am desperate for any advice or help from similar sufferers.
Thank you and good luck
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

User avatar Hi Ap10046,

I have a few thoughts for you. First, you may have an atypical, or "walking", pneumonia. This is generally picked up on a chest x-ray but may not be present early on. You may need a repeat chest x-ray to see if it looks like this now.

Also, occasionally, asthma can present this way. This can be treated with inhalers and it may be worth a trial of albuterol to see if this helps your symptoms.

Seeing a lung specialist may also be of some benefit.

ap10046 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 am

Dear Dr. Lowe,
Good Day and thank you for your prompt response.
About the Pneumonia. I don't have a cough, cold or the like. Would that be a factor?
My chest discomfort actually starts, strangely enough, at or around 7pm everyday. It is present but not so prominent during the day.
Also, I had mentioned that I have a "heavy breathing" feeling in my throat.
What I have noticed that seems to offer temporary relief is a gas release (burp/belch), of which there seems to also be plenty! Could this be GERD? or similar?
I feel like I have to also stretch my upper torso very regularly, looking, for a "pop" from around the breastbone/rib joint region. This provides me maximum relief.
Somewhat like cracking one's fingers. This area sometimes does get quite tender and a NSAID and a heating pad helps greatly, so I was even thinking costochondritis.
So awfully confused, sorry!