Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Odd Question About Asbestos Exposure

 mhenry33 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:15 am

I suffered an inhalation injury several years ago and recently was exposed to asbestos (and probably still am as it's in the house). The discomfort was originally around my lower lobes, but has since migrated to other parts of my body (neck, hands, gentitals, abdomen, etc.). I am wondering what kind of barrier there is between the lungs and bloodstream, could it have been compromised with the earlier lung injury and should I be concerned? Are there any diagnostic tests that can be performed?

 Sandy Tracy RN - Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:31 pm

User avatar Hi Mhenry33,

The most commonly used diagnostic tests for asbestos exposure are Pulmonary Function Tests and CT scan of the lungs.

Further testing may include lung biopsy, colon cancer screenings and blood studies. Pulmonary function tests are statistically shown to be abnormal in 50-60% of people exsposed to asbestos.

If symptoms are progressively getting worse I suggest seeing a Lung doctor (pulmonologist) for further testing. Asbestos exposure can lead to mesothelioma a rare form of cancer. Asbestos is considered a carcinogen in humans. There are also non-cancerous problems associated with asbestos exposure.

I urge you to continue seeking medical advice and see your doctor.

I wish you the best of luck.

Sandy Tracy RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us