Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: lower chest pains

taz - Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I am a 39 year old female. My pain has been going on now for about 9 mo. It is my lower chest, mainly left side by my ribcage. I also sometimes have loose bowels, bloated. The pain comes and goes. It is achy. I have had almost every test done possible it seems. I have had a chest x-ray when this started 9 mo ago, a ct scan, a pelvic ultrasound, a colonoscopy, a breath test that came back positive for bacterial infection. I was given an antibiotic for this but the pain in my chest still won't go away. Not sure if it could be something worse. I am concerned to say the least as all my tests keep coming back fine. I feel like I am losing my mind. Is there any suggestions you can think of that this could be. The pressure is mainly when I am sitting/standing upright and pull my arms back to stretch my chest. It is very achy. I am set to do an upper gi test with the gastro dr. Jan 9 but was wondering if this could be anything else . I also sometimes get a pain in my right upper leg. It's like my blood vessel is expanding or something. This has been just recently. Any suggestions?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:44 pm

User avatar Hi Taz,

There are a few possibilities off hand. The bacterial test that you had was likely positive for a bacteria called H. pylori. It may be that you still have some inflammation of your stomach from this infection. You may also want to be tested for celiac disease. This can cause pain and bloating with some loose stools.

Follow up with your GI specialist is important. You may actually need a repeat endoscopy. The upper GI should be helpful as well.