Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lump/Mass? On lower Sternum w/Pain

 cbarr29 - Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:50 am

3 mths after having my 3rd baby I noticed a dull pain on the lower part of my sternum I rubbed the area and realized their is a rock hard..sore.. non movable 2 in x 2 inch (approx) protruding lump on my lower sternum.
This also causes light-moderate-bad pain and a tingling type (weird) sensation all the way thru to my back as if something is "growing" in there and pushing on other organs and my back. In the exact same spot where the lump is protruding on my front sternum (chest) my back in this area kills me. i have to try and use muscle cream to help tolerate it sometimes and if i carry my baby or bend over for a small period ect the pain in my back in that area gets worse.
I showed my doc and she said she was concerned about this and sent me to the hospital for blood work and a CT Scan and then tells me they "think" my baby kicked a bone out of place and i may have to live with this the rest of my life.
I have continue to struggle with this issue and pain and called the hospital today to see if someone else could re-read the CT Scan and i told them my doc had said it was a bone my baby had kicked out of place. They looked at my file and said..."it was no where in the report that baby had kicked bone out of place" and they said to go to my doc and request a copy of the report as i had been told wrong yet they are not allowed to tell me what the report actually "does" say.
I need a Doc tp PLEASE answer this for me and let me know if I should be concerned about this issue and look for another doc/ 2nd opinion or should i just try and deal with the pain/uncomfortablness from it?
I geuss i am getting even more concerned now cuz i am now (6mths after the CT Scan on chest) having severe frequent headaches and weird lumps now popping up on the back of my head. I am only 32 but my body is known for growing things and my doc just does not seem to be paying much attention to this.
Several yrs back I had a exployitory surgery and beneign growth removed inside me (was back towards my back) and I also had 5 colon poyps removed when i was in my 20's and have had some other medical issues as well.
I am stuck without insurance coverage right now and worry they just don't want to deal with me because of this.
I don't know what to do ...i just know i hurt, i'm uncomfortable...and i am sick of not being able to stand and hold my baby long without hurting even worse.Docs Please help~??~!!~
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 pm

User avatar Hello -

If your doctor, having seen the "actual" report of your CT scan, doesn't feel it's important enough to contact you, then I would certainly seek that second opinion. Request the flims of the CT scan to bring to the second doctor, also, so that they can be read in front of you and get this clarified. It's pretty unusual for a fetus to knock loose the xyphoid process (which is what you seem to be describing), although I suppose it (or something like it ) is possible during a pregnancy. There does seem to be something else going on, though, and of course, not having seen the films nor you in person, it is difficult to be certain what this may be.

Absolutely, a second opinion is in order, if that's what it takes to learn, if only to ease your mind, just what's going on.

Good luck to you with this. Please let us know how things go.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us