Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Smoker with chest pains.

conceptas - Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:17 pm

i've been smoking for about 3 years now, half a pack a day about. sometimes a full pack but very rarely. I had acute bronchitis back about 7 months ago, i quit smoking for about a week to let my lungs heal up and then started again, stupid mistake. Now, i have been having pain in my lungs, frontal pain in my chest and back pain in the lung region, For about 2 - 3 weeks now. I have a wheez when i exhale. And it feels like im not getting enough air in my lungs. Im going to the doctor soon but i wanted another opinion. I was wondering what this might be, bronchitis, or something serious.
 Dr. A. Madia - Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Smoking half a pack a day is on the higher side, in fact any smoking at all is bad. Once you have already had an episode of bronchitis. Now you wheeze when you exhale so possibly you might be heading towards chronic bronchitis. You need to stop right now, since once set in, chronic bronchitis has no remedy.

The chest pain you are having does not look like a heart pain but I strongly suggest you to get in touch with your physician and get whatever tests he suggests, like an X ray of the chest, an EKG etc.

Apurva
 conceptas - Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for your help. Ive quit smoking and i did go to the doctor, and had a chest xray and ekg done. My ekg was abnormal so i wore a holter monitor for 2 days and it was normal. My chest xray was also normal. so its been a week now since ive quit smoking and my smell and taste are coming back haha.

Thanks again.