Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Pain in lower right chest?

dustins - Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:43 pm

I am having a sharp pain in my lower right chest. It seems to come and go and it is usually brought on by moving. I haven't had any recent injuries so that couldn't be the problem. I don't know what could be causing this. Here is a pic of the area I am feeling the pain. Image
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:02 am

Pain on chest which is brought on or aggravated by moving or deep inspiration is usually of chest wall origin-musculoskeletal. It can also be from an intrathoracic muscle pull.

It could also be a 'Pluritic pain', coming from the covering membrane of the lungs. In this case it is usually an infection.

One particular kind of chest pain here is the one which comes on on assumig an upright position, is severe and it could be from the outer covering of the heart called pericardium and the disease called pericarditis.

Otherwise the usual heart pain or angina is central in the chest or below the sternum, is vaguly localized, it has a gripping or a squeezy feel about it and it is brought on by exertion unless it is a heart attack.

From what you describe yours seem to be the musculo skeletal one. However it is better to get in touch with a physician and get the routine chest pain work up done.

Apurva