Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pneumonia and Broken Rib??

tiameag3971 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:48 pm

I went to the ER, had x-rays and was diagnosed with pneumonia 1 week ago today and have been taking Levaquin 500 mg once daily (to be taken 10 days) along with a breathing treatment of Atrovent .250 mg/ml and Berotec every 6-8 hours. I started out taking Amoxicillin but I had an allergic reaction so the Dr. started me on the Levaquin last Monday. I have no fever, no headache just an ugly cough at night and I'm still coughing up light yellow/green mucous. It has improved but it's been a week and I still hear the crackles and wheezing in my lungs. I'm now experiencing pain in the lower part of my right rib cage when I move a certain way and it's hard to get comfortable lying down. You can imagine the pain when I need to cough. My question is should the wheezing and crackling still be going on if my last antibiotic will be taken in 2 days? Do I need another round? Also what can be done for a fractured/broken rib?

Please Help!! I am miserable :(
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 am

User avatar Hi,

A pneumonia is a consolidation of lumgs' air exchange spaces which fill up with infected secretions. The inflammation caused by this extends to the Pleura [membrane covering the lungs] also, and it is this which causes,the pain when you cough.

If you are not improving with antibiotics a change is needed but this time the antibiotic should be changed as per the Culture-sensitivity testing done from the sputum.

If the pain in the ribcage has appeared or got worse, a repeat X ray shoul be done to rule out an associated Pleural Effusion [collection of fluid in the membrane].

Take care,

Apurva

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us