Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: stabbing pain left chest when I breath

bobk - Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi , I am having a stabbing pain on the left side of my chest when i breath. I do smoke cigarettes but i never had this problem before. could you please trry to help me out with an answer for this
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:46 am

User avatar Hi,

Stabbing pain in chest which increases on breathing is either a pain from the rib cage [bone] or the muscles of the chest wall. It can also be from the Pleura [membrane covering your lungs].

With your history of smoking it is imperative that one rules out the Pleural causes like Pleural effusion, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, etc.

You should in my opinion see a doctor and get some investigations like basic blood work, a chest X ray if she thinks it to be in order.

Apurva

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us